I had a special date night coming up with my husband and I wanted to make a clutch to go with my new dress! I decided to try and make one with out a pattern!
First I picked up my supplies: Green for the outside, purple lining, batting, fusible interfacing, and a fancy button.
Then I started to cut out the fabric. Tip #1 Measure! Ooops... First I made it too long, then it ended up crooked in the end. (I still love it though.)
I had decided to make the outer part have pleats in it to add interest. I started by pinning 3 pleats in the "middle" (I did not measure them again and so they are off center on mine.) Tip #2 Sew pleats into place underneath... I kept having to fool with mine and make them sit still.... in the end that caused them to be in the wrong place.... They still look nice though!
Next, I cut out the lining to the same size as my green out fabric. (Make sure you make it strait as this was where most of my measurements where off.) Then I fused the lining to it and pinned the batting to that.
The next step was so hard I did not take detailed pictures during it. I had to sew the lining to the outer (right sides together) but I also wanted a clean line on the part where I sewed up the sides. After trial and error I finally got it correct. Here are a couple of me testing the length and folding process.
At this point a small "inspector" came along to check on the quality of my fabric!
Finally I sewed a hook and eye inside and put a pretty decorative button on the outside! Here is the final product!!!!
The pretty button! The hook and eye
(I wish I had done a different closure.)
Here is a picture of us after our date!